My Weight Loss Journey

by - Friday, April 25, 2014

I have found it hard to write this post but I really wanted to share this with you as I know that being a girl you can be faced with appearance and weight issues all the time. We all know that when you settle down in a serious relationship you get a little too comfortable (even more so when you move in together) and you end up sitting in front of the telly stuffing your face with Chinese takeaways and wine most weekends. It probably didn't help that I stopped smoking (yes, I know it's better for my health but I put on close to 2 stone after I stopped). 

I have always been self concious about my body and I have never felt comfortable with wearing a bikini on a beach (even before I piled on the pounds) however within the last year I have been so upset and embarrassed about my body that I hated going out and dressing up because I always felt fat, I always wore loose fitted clothes to avoid anyone seeing my real shape and my fiancé noticed how upset and self concious I was as when we went to a Spa or on holiday as I refused to be seen in a bikini or to allow anyone to see my body shape. If I was to go on the beach or in the pool I used to wear a kaftan or a beach top to hide my body and I hated that I had lost my confidence, I know that when your age goes from 18 to 21 to 24 your weight and body will change dramatically because you are growing and your body develops but it still didn't stop me hating it any less and I ended up getting worked up about it. 

I used to let it get on top of me so much I used to cry all the time and I never felt comfortable when buying new clothes, on holiday or even when I was just with my fiancé and family. I had tried just cutting out the crap but I didn't find it worked as my weight seemed to yo-yo from me losing a little then putting it on, and if I am honest I got impatient. I started doing more fitness and trying to eat the right foods, I found my biggest effort was eating breakfast as it used to make me feel sick but then I would snack about 11am which meant that my body had been fasting since the night before (this is really bad for you!) Because I was so embarrassed and disgusted with myself I also hated the thought of joining a gym or doing fitness with my friends, I did try but I didn't feel comfortable mainly because of my weight but I suppose it didn't help that I am a complete amateur at fitness. I was still determined so I asked my fiancé to help me, he helped me do work out routines at home where I felt a little more comfortable, I also started running with my friend/neighbour where I kinda felt comfortable but I was still very embarrassed (especially as I run like Phoebe from friends). 

After getting engaged last October, I went to try and look at wedding dresses with my mum. Put it this way I have only been once! I hated myself in every single dress, I was disgusted how I let myself put weight on when I really didn't realise how much I had changed and I left the wedding dress shop feeling awful and when I got home I cried for ages. I think this was the wake up call that I had needed to change my health, my weight and to change how I looked. 

In November 2013 I joined Slimming World, mainly because my mum was joining and I was happy to try anything to find something that worked for me. I was nervous at first as I imagined it to be like one of those meetings where you have to be weighed in front of everyone, whilst they judged and commented on your appearance but it really wasn't like that. Our group leader is a lady called Sonia and she really is fantastic, she is the most down to earth and bubbly person and I feel comfortable going to group every week, even on those days when I have been a little naughty. I was trying lots of new exciting recipes and as weird as it sounds I found myself eating a lot more than I used to (I even enjoyed eating breakfast). I have been very impressed with the results and how Slimming World has changed my life, I am still a member now and I will continue to be as I find going to the groups really helpful as I learn so many tips and great recipes or ideas. I also feel that knowing that I will get getting on the scales each week even if I am at target will help me mentally control what I eat as I know that if I was to be a little naughty and have a pig out day then I could make myself get back on track and stick to eating what's right for me. 

My Typical Day:

Breakfast (9:30/10am)
2 Poached Eggs with 2 small slices of Wholemeal Toast and some Chopped Tomato's OR Porridge with Fresh Raspberries
1 English Breakfast tea with Skimmed Milk, no Sugar.

Snack (11/11:30)
1 Satsuma and Chopped Melon
Another Cuppa Tea.

Lunch (12:30/1:30)
Salad - Mixed leaves, Cucumber, Mixed Peppers, Plum Tomato's, Spring Onions
Grilled Chicken Breast OR King Prawns
Extra Light Salad Cream
Muller Light Fat Free Yoghurt 

Snack (3/3:30)
Handful of Almonds OR SW Hifi Bar (I love the Rocky Road ones)

Dinner (6:30)
Baked Potato OR Cous Cous/Boiled Rice OR Slimming World Chips 
Grilled Meat (Turkey/Chicken/Pork Loin/Steak)
Steamed Vegetables


Any-who I know I have waffled on for a while so I will get to the parts that you really want to see, the photos! 



Photo taken 2010/2011 (This is my happy weight and my current goal!)
Weight between 7st 9lbs - 8st 3lbs


Photo taken December 2012/January 2013 (After stopping smoking)
Weight between 9 st 7lbs - 9st 12lbs 


Photo taken April 2014. 
Current weight 8 st 10 lbs


Just to compare! January 2013 - April 2014


I will admit until today I still felt that I hadn't really lost anything, I saw my weight dropping but I didn't physically feel any slimmer. Until I thought about comparing the photo's to see how much of a difference this was, when I saw them next to each other I was disgusted at how big I got and I felt so embarrassed with myself, I know that I am a little off target and I will stick at it. I also want to increase my fitness levels whilst toning up so I know I have a little further to go but I will stick at it and this has given me the motivational boost I needed.

I have not written this post to 'fish' for attention or compliments but I wanted to share with anyone who is wanted to lose weight and get fit that you don't need to starve yourself or to do these quick 'fad' diets, they don't work and they are not good for you (trust me I tried them all, from SlimFast to the 1200 calorie per day diet and even a Juice diet) and remember do it because it's what you want not because someone else has told you to! 

If you would like me to share healthy recipes just me know! 








You May Also Like

9 Comments

  1. Looking fab girl well done for sticking at it and I wish you all the luck in your future xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look lovely :) you've done so well x

    Lauren
    www.beautydivisionblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a nice post to read, it's so encouraging hearing other people talk about their weight problems or how they feel, and congratulations on the weight loss! Theres a real difference between the photos. And good luck in the rest of your journey, sounds like you've really got it right!
    I know whats its like needing to loose weight, and being in a relationship is so bad for weight loss. I'm blogging about my weight loss/healthy living journey at the moment, and I did a post about my weight loss history last week, It's here if you' like to have a read. - http://essaysandwine.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/healthy-living-1-my-weight-me.html

    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comments. And fab post I love it, well done to you too and keep up the amazing work xxx

      Delete
  4. Proud of you for sharing this post as I know you said you were nervous. one day I hope to have your will power...

    Bailey
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job and thanks for sharing! I also lost a similar amount of weight when I was 18/19. Totally didn't think I'd lost anything but then would get such huge reactions from people I hadn't seen for awhile! So strange x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete