Goodbye 2015 ~ Hello 2016‏

by - Thursday, December 31, 2015


On a serious note. Where has this year gone? In fact where have the past two years gone? We are so close to 2016 it’s scary, but I always see it as a fresh start to the year forgetting any bad stuff that has happened and focus on the good, whilst setting myself a bunch of new tasks and goals for things to do. Admittedly, I very rarely do all my “New Year’s Resolutions” which is actually really bad, as the whole point of setting them is to do something new and exciting, or to do something that you’ve always wanted to do. Sometimes, I am a huge procrastinator and I often get lazy and delay doing things that need to be done, and on the other hand I am the most motivated person ever. Wish I was more the latter. So to give me a boost, I thought I'd reflect on what I wanted to do in 2015.
2015
I had started 2015 extremely positive, as if you’ve been reading my blog for a while you may have known that my fiancé (now husband) was in hospital for the most of 2013 as he was extremely poorly. So Christmas and New Year 2013/2014 was pretty much a chilled one as all we wanted to do was forget the previous year. This time, Christmas and New Year 2014/2015 was one that we had wanted to celebrate as not only was we looking forward to spending time with our family and as we officially had something to look forward to… our wedding!
Yes, 2015 was the year we were planning on getting married in Spain, so most of our year was spent planning our wedding, spending money and going on holidays to plan our wedding. And you’ll be pleased to know (if you don’t already know) that it all went ahead and we are now officially husband and wife. YAY. But reflecting back on the past year, I know that a lot of the things that I had wanted to do this year were kind of pushed to the back of the que as all my time was dedicated to making and arranging little bits for our wedding. When I think about it, I didn’t do as bad as I think as I did manage to get a few of the things done, which is better than none right?

LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE
·    Surprisingly, although I didn’t physically try to learn a new language after visiting Spain so many times since last October when we set a date, I have learnt some of the Spanish basics to get by and hold a conversation. Woohoo!

START STUDYING
·    I had been contemplating starting a degree but it got postponed due other things going on, having really thought about what path I wanted to go down and also where to study, the only realistic option for me to study whilst being able to afford the mortgage on my house was to start a course with the Open University. Which I did :) and now I have successfully completed my first module with a Merit. Woohoo, go me. 

SAVE SAVE SAVE!
·     Me and Maz had saved up for 3 years to pay for our wedding. And seeing a large amount of money in your account exciting, it’s just not so exciting when it slowly (but rapidly) gets spent when paying vendors etc. My aim was to start saving again, although I wasn’t able to start my own pot of savings with my bank (cos let’s face it, something always happens that makes us need to spent money), we have re-started our joint share plan where we both put the same amount away each month for another three years.

CLEAR MY DEBTS
·      Although I don’t have any “debts”, I do have a loan for my car and an overdraft on my bank that has been abused a lot this year. Despite saving for the wedding, we have still took a hit when extra things need to be paid. Instead of paying off things separate, I have been sensible and juggled my finances and been able to club them together in one amount and agree a shorter payment term. Surprisingly, this has actually saved me money! Woohoo.

STOP SPENDING MONEY
·     The moment that you check your bank and released that you have spent £60 in Starbucks and Costa in one month is when you need to face reality and admit that you spend too much money. Yes I know! And considering me and my friend take it in turns to buy coffee, that’s £120 between us each month on coffee. Woah! I haven’t actually cut down my spending as much as I’d like to, but I have been a little savvy when shopping and I have cut back on buying excessive amounts of clothes and make-up when I don’t need it.

GET MARRIED!
·     And WE DID IT! After a busy 18 months of planning and trying to make our wedding in the Spanish sun our perfect day, I am happy to say that the whole day (practically) went to plan and it was a lovely day.
 Did you manage to complete your 2015 goals?


 Like this post? Remember to follow me on Bloglovin to keep up to date with all my latest posts.


You May Also Like

0 Comments