Married Life

by - Saturday, April 23, 2016



I can't believe it's 2017. Within the blink of an eye, 2016 vanished. As did 2015. It only feels like last week that I was celebrating my 21st birthday; and now, I'm a happily married, twenty something woman that is quickly flying through life. Before I know it, I'll be 30, and then 60, and then cashing in my pension. Gulp!  


These past six months have flown by, and I've come to notice the same question popping up regularly. That question is "How's Married Life?". Well, since you asked, I can now truthfully answer - no different. I almost feel like it may get awkward when I say that, but I don't think there is another way to put it. Actually, tell a white lie. I suppose there is a slight difference. I'm not skint, half of everything I own now legally belongs to my husband and I'm now fatter as I don't have a wedding dress to fit into. But there are a few things that I've learnt in these last six months, so I thought I'd share these with you all. Yano' as a slight warning so you know exactly how to prepare yourself for post-married life. Or just in case you fancy a giggle at the not-so-romantic side of marriage.

UNHEALTHY SAVINGS

I was always, somewhat bad with money. Although I have never got myself in debt - Thank you momma and pops for teaching me the ways of the world! - I was bad at saving. Whenever I had money, I found something I needed (okay wanted ) to spend it on. So, after you've worked hard to save thousands of pounds to treat yourself to a luxury holiday or a few Chanel classics, as soon as you get engaged and start planning for the big day, it's almost heart breaking seeing how quickly money disappears and eventually you're left with barely tuppence in your bank. Oh sigh! 


TIME FOR BABIES

So, now you're married. Congratulations. But you've not even left your own wedding reception before you get comments from family and friends, asking when you're planning to pop out a baby. You haven't even consummated our marriage yet, never mind thinking about having children. In all seriousness though, this is a question that really makes me feel uncomfortable, mainly because no-one really thinks about the question. How do you know that the person you're asking can have children? Or that they even want children? Those conversations could be really awkward or even upsetting for some, but you'll still get asked them. And you'll still have to smile and nod, and say that you're happy with owning 17 Pug dogs. Uh-uh this will probably be me in about 4 years time. #LifeGoals.

A BIT OF PUDDING

Everyone always says that when you settle down, you put weight on. I was the kinda girl that could eat so much food and never put weight on. Oh to be 19 again. Winning. But as you get older, the weight catches up with you. Quicker than you ever imagined. It's usually after you've settled down. I was living with my husband for around four years before getting married so we had already put some pudding on, because you know, those nights where you can't be bothered to cook a home-made meal, you end up having take out. Not only that, we find ourselves indulging in a weekly wine night with friends, which certainly doesn't help keep those lbs off. Since being married, I'll happily hold my hands up and admit that I've put some pudding on. I don't know if it's because I no longer have the pressure of fitting into a wedding dress or just because I've been so exhausted with working full time, studying part time, being a full time carer and running a blog. But whatever it is, I don't like it and now I have to work twice as hard to burn off the extra junk in my trunk. 


LIFE IS BORING

Before I get told off, married life isn't boring. It's just the same so don't worry, I'm not implying that you'll be sat in the corner in a rocking chair reading a book indulging in intermittent pointless conversations. Of course, your marriage is what you make it so if you enjoyed spending time together before you got married then make sure you go on regular dates, travel and create memories after then it won't be boring. However, I mean that now your wedding day will go by so fast and it's really hard to enjoy and remember all the bits that you arranged. I wish we could re-do it again and again, just so I can embrace the moment. But now, there is nothing left to plan for, and to be honest I really miss it. 


I hope you enjoyed the funny side to this post. I absolutely love being married and I wouldn't change it for the world. If you fancied reading my other Wedding related posts you can do here.


You May Also Like

0 Comments