How to Cheer Yourself Up

by - Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Image Source: Pinterest

At some point, we all get ourselves so worked up (usually over nothing) and end up in a right mood. I do (probably too much), and I am sure you do. No matter how big or how small the problem is, the truth is, that little – or big – something has got you down and the worst thing you can do it let whatever it is, eat away at you and leave you feeling even worse. When I get myself in a rutt, I try to do things to cheer me up, so I thought I’d share.


GET DOLLED UP


Silly I know, but when you are feeling sad or lonely or just in a mood but you don’t know why, then get out of your comfy PJ’s and get dressed. Put a bit of slap on or do your hair. Concentrating on making yourself look better, will make you feel better. I can’t count the amount of times that I have sat on the sofa, feeling like I have the world on my shoulders, with curly hair, pretty lipstick on and a face full of makeup. Albeit I maybe sat in some clean PJ’s with a blanket on me, but I feel a lot better and it usually helps get me out that mood.

PAMPER YOURSELF

Who doesn’t like a pamper? I don’t know anyone – male or female – that doesn’t like a pamper. Some won’t admit it, but they do. Whether it be having a nice bubble bath (with a glass of wine) and applying your favourite body crème , to giving yourself a brow-over and mani/pedi, or even just shaving your legs! If it makes you feel better – even just for an hour – then do it. It’s sometimes the little things we can do to make yourself feel better.

EXERCISE

I am possibly the world’s worst example of this, but experts say that exercise releases endorphins, and endorphins make you happy. It could mean going for a walk with your pooch, a run, a spot of yoga or whether it means heading down the gym and beating the crap out of a punch bag. Do it! I rarely do this when I am in a mood, cos despite it making you feel better, when I am in a mood I am lazy. But when I have been really angry, going for a run really helps shake you out of that mood.

READ A BOOK

I’ve always loved reading. I just love getting lost in a book, in a world so far away where everything is magical and perfect. So when I am in a mood, I love picking up a good book (my favourite are the I heart range) and snuggling under the covers getting lost in a world without a care in the world. Although I own a Kindle, I much prefer reading a real book with real pages. I just love the feel and smell of books (okay I am strange) but it helps. And it helps me unwind and escape from reality, just for a while.

TAKE A BREAK

Sometimes you just need a break from the world. Even just for an hour where you don’t have any responsibility’s and you can do what you want. Every now and again (not usually as often as I’d like), I switch my phone on silent and just lie on the sofa, and just think. Sometimes, listening to those thoughts can help you get over them, rather than avoiding them completely. I also think it’s great just to take a break from reality and do what you want, have a bath, read a book, catch up on blogging, watch telly. Whatever it is, turn your phone off, lock your doors, grab a cuppa tea and just do what you want to do.

'FAKE' ONLINE SHOPPING

The key word here is fake online shopping. Shopping makes me happy, like most girls I am guessing. But spending money doesn’t always make you happy. When I am feeling sad, I often go on Selfridges and other expensive websites and pretend I have an endless bank account, I enjoy creating magical outfits and adding to the basket, and then when I have a good weeks supply of clothes (usually after a few hours of expensive outfit planning) I will close the tab and carry on with my life. Strangely enough, this makes me feel really happy. I don’t know why, it just does. Or if you want to, you could just go crazy and buy lots of pretty things - just don't blame me. 

HAVE SOME "ME" TIME

Do something that makes you happy! Whether that be walking your dog, making a mood board on Pinterest, blogging or watching your favourite movie. If it makes you happy, then just do it. Life is too short to do things that don’t make you happy (likewise life is too short to not be around people that make you happy). Think about you for a change.

CUDDLE

Who doesn’t love a cuddle? Cuddling makes me happy. If I am feeling sad, I make my now husband, give me a big cuddle (and he usually kisses me on the tip of my nose after – cute I know) or I cuddle Pepe my Pug as he gives the best cuddles – when he doesn’t walk off haha – and when I am really sad, sometimes I’ll just pop to my mums house and have a cuppa tea and cuddle her. Yes I know I am 25, but you are never too old for a mummy cuddle and you are never too old to need your mum.

TALK ABOUT IT 

They say, a problem shared is a problem halved. Sometimes just getting things off your chest go far in making you feel better. If you don’t feel like talking or sharing your thoughts with your partner, family or friends, why not open a word document (or get out that pen and paper) and write down what’s on your mind. If you could say whatever you wanted, to whoever you wanted without consequences, what would you say? Write it down, get everything off your chest. Then after, delete it or throw it away (unless you want to keep it that is). Surprisingly, I do this A LOT. As it just helps. I can’t explain why, but it just helps :)

Whatever is causing you to be upset, in a mood or feeling a little down then I really hope you feel better soon. We all have these moments in life, nobody is perfect and we wouldn't be human if we didn't feel like this. 


I hope you have found some (or all) these tips  useful, likewise if you have any tips you’d like to share then please pop a comment below.  


You May Also Like

0 Comments