Interview Tips by a Beauty Blogger

by - Sunday, May 11, 2014

Photo Credit - Google Image Search

Interview's are never something I look forward to and in the past I have occasionally found that I put myself off the interview so much that I completely fluff up. I have recently had a couple of interviews within my current work place and I thought I would share some of my tips/preparation tips that I have used to help me.

1) Be Yourself
There's nothing more an employer will love than to see the real you in an interview. Don't afraid to show your personality and that you are right for the job.

2) Confidence
This is probably the hardest thing to do in an interview but try and be as confident as you can, I tend not to think about the interview until I am in there. Keep telling yourself that you are the best candidate for the job and if they don't give you the job then it's their loss. Just remember not to be cocky about it, but as long as you smile and display positive body language and explain why you are great for the job using positive language that's all that the employer is looking for.

3) Preparation
You can use internet sites to search for similar questions that they may ask you, I personally write bullet points of answers or examples to use on a cue card. Remember not to read word for word but employers will not mark you down for taking in cue cards and quickly peeking at them to refresh you with your answers. 

4) Appearance
For a girl, the worst thing you can do is have over the top make-up and chipped nails. Keep your make-up looking natural and professional, and don't even think about putting false eyelashes on (yes we have all done it, especially me and it really doesn't look good). If you are wearing nail polish make sure it isn't chipped as it keeps your appearance looking smart and professional and don't drown yourself with perfume, keep it subtle. When picking out an outfit, be original! Wear something that you feel comfortable in and shows your personality whilst remaining professional. If you think about how many other people will be going for that interview and the employer will see everyone wearing a suit or smart clothes how are you going to stand out if you are the same? It works for me. 

5) Smile
Don't be afraid to crack a smile or even a little laugh (following their lead of course) it will make the employer smile too and they will think that you are confident (even if you don't feel it)

6) Body Language
Sit up straight, look the employer in the eyes (don't stare though it will be a little freaky) and nod. If they are talking make sure you let them know that you are interested in what they are saying and show that you are listening. When speaking use positive body language, smile and nod and use your hands when speaking (if that's your thing) as it all shows the employer that you are confident in what you are saying. 

7) Truth
Do you research and make sure that you answer the questions truthfully, employer's may not necessarily know 100% that you have fibbed on your answer but they can understand from your body language as there isn't many people that can lie and it appear really genuine. (I certainly can't!) Instead do your research on what they are looking for, think about your answers and miss out all the negativity and just use positive words to turn your answer around.

8) Calm
Remain calm throughout your interview, try not to get yourself worked up. I know it's hard to say but try not to think about it as you will put yourself off. The moment you are sitting in the room waiting to be seen and you start getting sweaty palms or butterflies in your tummy. Think about something else or concentrate on something in the room and take deep breathes. I tend to think about something like what shall I make for dinner, and what ingredients I will need. Whatever it is you decided to do, do it up til you go into the interview room and that way your mind is relaxed as it's not had to worry.

9) Questions
Always ask a question at the end. This is why it's important to do your research as you may find something to prompt you asking a question, whether it's something interesting or something you think is silly still ask it as it shows the employer that you are interested. I tend to also ask how many other applicants they have still to interview or when I am expected to hear about the position.

10) End on a high
Once the interview is finished I tend to always thank them for meeting with me, I always smile and give a firm hand shake and wish them a wonderful day. If there is something we have discussed in the interview which make's your exit personal and show's you have listened then I add that in too. For example, Thank you for meeting with me. I will look forward to hearing from you. I hope you have a wonderful time in Spain. - Just a random example but you get the drift.

I really hope you found these interview tips useful and if you are going for an interview then good luck! I would love to hear how you got on and if you used any of my tips.

Do you have any interview tips to share with me that I haven't mentioned?






You May Also Like

1 Comments